Skip to main content

What Is Your Favorite Way to Spend a Lazy Day?

               It seems like such a simple question.  I could think of a plethora of simple, yet appropriate answers:  sleeping, watching television, playing video games...  So many effortless responses, but as I try to form my answer, the negative connotation surrounding the word "lazy" nags my train of thought.  The dictionary defines lazy as "showing a lack of effort or care."  Personally, when I hear the word "lazy," I think of a lack of production or activities in which there is little to no physical evidence of accomplishment.
               The aforementioned responses bear little fruits when it comes to productivity, but are they actually lazy?  For example, everyone needs sleep.  One needs more sleep when sleep is lost.  One needs more sleep after more than usual strenuous activities.  Being well rested is considered an important part of being healthy.  It turns out that your body does a lot of maintenance while sleeping.  In fact, serious and life-threatening conditions have been linked to sleep deficits.  It seems to me that such a crucial activity for one's well-being shouldn't be deemed as lazy.
               As for watching television?  Aside from the fact that it reduces stress and can promote creativity, I don't feel like watching television is a barren activity.  Depending on the programming being viewed, one is taking in information, staying updated about current events, or even learning a skill.  News, cooking, science, history:  all topics available on a T.V. screen.  But factual viewing isn't the only way to benefit from the tube.  Even fictional shows can guide you in socializing, critical thinking, and opinion forming.  How can all these positive things be negative?
               Playing video games is often frowned upon by the older generation, but why?  There is much to be gained from video games other than hand-eye coordination.  Many games involve strategizing, planning, critical thinking, problem-solving, and even patience.  Role-playing games give one the opportunity to sees new perspectives and potentially gain empathy.  They can even be used as a bonding tool.  So once again, I ponder why is it perceived as a bad thing to play video games?
               I suppose there is the "too much of a good thing" factor, but even in that light, are so-called lazy activities really "showing a lack of effort or care."?  Personally, I have to say no, especially considering that I do all of those things on my most productive days as well.  I am not sure what a truly lazy day would look like...  Maybe depression?

Comments